Create dynamic maps from Harp netCDF files

Hi Sander, as I mentioned earlier I’ve built my website (greenhousemaps.com) and am displaying my monthly average global concentration of methane, NO2, SO2, and CO maps there. I use visan/harp to create the monthly average file and then I import that file into panoply to create a map. I then save the map as a png. I’ve noticed that these images appear very static however, and don’t convey the user experience I would like. I’d like to allow users to zoom in on places, click on regions and have the concentrations in that location popup, and generally have more dynamism, and perhaps more aesthetics. To do this I was wondering what software I would need given that these files are netCDF. Of the good softwares, arcgis pro seems like the only one that accommodates for netCDF files, but it’s only available on windows. Let me know your thoughts and reccomendations. An example of the type of map I would like is linked here (not the dashboard and everything but the interactivity): https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

That is a good question. Unfortunately, this might require some work to implement. I am not aware of any simple solutions to this.

If you want to have such functionality within your website you will need two elements to the solution. One is the interactive plot display within the webbrowser, and the other is the way to transfer the map data from the server to the web client.

The choice for the plot display will probably depend on the way you transfer the map data to the client. If you are going to use OGC services such as WMS, WFS, WCS, you would need something like GeoServer on your server and something like Google Maps, openlayers, leafletjs, or cesiumjs in the browser.

For the type of bubble maps that are used in your example, the data exchange is often based on exchanging json with a server and then using something like Plotly bubblemaps.
Plotly is also something we use in our company to create the validation plots on the S5P-MPC Validation Server. This is coupled with using OpenDAP for getting the data dynamically in the browser instead of using json.

Note that I am no real expert in this field, and this topic is also a bit out of scope for this forum. But perhaps these links can help you further.

1 Like

Thanks for the response, I’ll let you know when I figure it out.

Would I need to first convert the datat from netCDF to geoJSON?