Problem with HARP 1.20 and S5P_PAL_L2_CHOCHO

HARP 1.20 When using with S5P_PAL_L2_CHOCHO doesn’t derive any of C2H2O2_column_number_density
C2H2O2_column_number_density_uncertainty
or
C2H2O2_column_number_density_validity

I got .nc files regrided but I do not have variables mentioned above. I can put my code here but it works fine for lets say S5P_L2_NO2 or SO2 , O3 or whatever.

Can you help me any how??

I think I already see what the problem is. We somehow hadn’t assigned unit information to these variables in the ingestion and a regridding/binning will ignore any floating point variables without a unit.
We will fix the missing units in the next HARP release.

Hi,
I was trying to grid the S5P_PAL_L2_BRO data set using HARP 1.20 to obtain the monthly mean of BrO_column_number_density.data. Although the code ran successfully, The values I got seem not corrected. Is this the same issue posted here for S5P_PAL_L2_CHOCHO? My code is working fine with S5P_OFFL_L2_NO2 data sets.

This is actually a problem with the BrO product vs. its product user manual. In the product the data is stored as mole/cm2, but in the PUM it is specified as mole/m2. We will contact the algorithm developer about this.

I’m still encountering issues with processing the S5P_PAL_BRO (HARP 1.20.2) data. It seems that the problem lies with the file itself, as it is not opening properly in Panoply. Is there anything I can do with HARP, or is there another method to convert the files into a format acceptable by HARP?

Are you using the BrO data from the latest processor? I believe there were some issues fixed regarding these excessive values.
Note that a full BrO back processing in S5P-PAL is planned to be performed in April.

I utilized the recent data available on the server (attached is a plot for three random swaths on March 4th, 2024). I suspect the excessive values are a result of improper structuring of the files processed by HARP. I attempted replacing the ‘tropospheric_HCHO_column_number_density’ (along with other necessary parameters) in the HCHO files (the same three swaths) with ‘BrO_column_number_density’ data from PAL-BrO swath files. After processing the new HCHO files with BrO data, I obtained meaningful outputs. Plots are attached for your reference.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 112057

Ah yes. I forgot. We already have a fix for this, but it has not been included in an official HARP release. This should come out later this month.